Donate now to help Syrian families survive and rebuild their lives.
The war in Syria has led to the worst humanitarian crisis of our time. More than half the population of Syria are in need of urgent assistance. 4 out of 5 Syrians are living in dire poverty and unemployment has increased to well over 50%. Syrians in displacement camps face overcrowding, inadequate access to basic services, high food prices and an increase in competition for limited job opportunities. Many refugees live in urban areas outside of the camps with little to no savings, dwelling in makeshift shelters without access to running water and heat, the needs of Syrian refugees are pervasive and urgent.
What World Relief is doing:
- World Relief is positioning the local Church as the answer. World Relief has been partnering with churches for more than 35 years to resettle refugees in over 26 cities across the US. Churches are on the forefront of their welcome, following Jesus simple command to “welcome the stranger.” Resettlement challenges are immense for these newly arriving families including: learning a new language, adjusting to a new culture, earning gaining employment, placing their kids in schools, and providing for their own physical, emotional, and psychological loss. World Relief is helping children and youth who have been separated from their families during the crisis and who are in danger of being trafficked. Through our office in Jordan, as well as our partnership with local organizations and churches, we are providing non-food items* to displaced Syrian refugee families and their host families.
- In JORDAN: World Relief is helping children and youth who have been separated from their families during the crisis and are in danger of being trafficked. Through our office in Jordan, and in partnership with local organizations and churches, we are providing non-food items to displaced Syrian refugee families as well as their host families.
- In TURKEY: World Relief is in the process of launching an office in Turkey to support its burgeoning population of Syrian refugees. In the US: World Relief is already welcoming Syrian refugees to the US and will continue to do so, along with the other 8 national refugee resettlement agencies.
- In COLLABORATION: With Refugee Council USA, World Relief is advocating to President Obama to increase the US annual refugee admissions goal to include 100,000 Syrians in 2016.
- Pray: We have developed 7 major prayer requests that encompass the vast, often immeasurable needs of this vulnerable group. Click here to download these prayer requests.
- Reach out: to local refugee-serving agencies in your area to see how you can walk alongside newly arrived refugees. World Relief serves refugees in 26 cities across the US. If there is no World Relief office near you, find another resettlement agency in this online affiliate directory.
- Learn: This story is about Syrian refugees, Ibrahim and Nirgez, and their family’s ongoing journey to safety.
- Advocate: Call your Senator and Congressional Representatives to tell them you are in support of Syrian resettlement in the US, and encourage your church to rally behind the cause and do the same.
- Sign: The White House petition for the US to resettle more Syrian refugees
- Sign up: To get involved. This is a place for your church, your people, your community to have a practical way to welcome the stranger in Christ’s name. If you are already welcoming refugees and would like to partner with us, click the link below or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org